Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Brain, She is Dead

When asked during this season's American Idol what was his biggest challenge being on the show, Jason Castro answered "Probably the brain being dead." I'm with you J.C.. I'm totally with you.

I thought I'd sneak in here in between the kids and the dishes and the laundry....no cakes these days, to update you on me! I got a comment after all my updates on the kids asking about an update on me....aaawwww. So, I thought one might be in order.

If you've hung out here awhile, you know that I have a kidney disease and that I lost two babies to endometriosis before I had my sweet little Dave. I imagine that's what people are wanting updates on...especially since I've been gone so much lately. I have been having quite a bit of pain off and on for the past 5 or 6 months. It's normal for me to assume that the pain is kidney related, but the last time I did that, it turned out to be endometriosis and it took losing two babies to figure it out. So THIS time, I carefully monitored the symptoms and felt that the pain, at least, was possibly not the kidneys after all, but perhaps the endo rearing it's ugly head. So, I went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago and he seemed to feel that the medicine I take to keep the endo away was not quite strong enough, and that was why I was still having so much pain. He changed my prescription to something a little stronger that would a) hopefully take the pain away, b) not mess with my head as much as the last one did, and c) might make me sick as a dog for awhile until my body got used to it. So far it's living up to all of the expectations! I've not hurt since I started it. I don't feel "strange". And I've been more nauseated than I've been since I was pregnant with little Dave....ugh! I still have another week before the real pain would normally set in, so the jury is still out on that, but the past two days have been much better in the nausea department, so that's good news!

As far as the cakes and cookies go. I've not been doing them for awhile because of my health and all. I do have some cookie orders that my friend C asked for a very, very long time ago that I need to get finished. Her first mistake was in telling me to "just do them when I had the time", ROFLOL!!! Her second mistake was that when I told her I wasn't feeling well, and I was cutting back on the cakes and cookies, she said "Well, you know my stuff can always wait." Big mistake...HUGE! On top of that, every time I think I'm going to get them done, she's out of town and I don't want them to go bad, or I get really sick, or the air-conditioner in my house dies and using the oven is NOT an option, or the refrigerator goes on the blink and my cookie dough spoils....and on and on and on! I'm really hoping to get those done soon...but I'm afraid of what might happen next if I start on them again! As soon as they are done, I'll get pictures up for you. In the meantime, I have some I did a long time ago that I never posted here, so you can have a little sugar fix...enjoy!

The backboard is a cookie, the basket is a mini-cupcake, and the basketball is chocolate!







And this one did make an appearance in the little video of Dave's birthday, but it was never officially posted.


This is one of my favorites. I got a call from someone who asked for a sheet cake with blue icing. They were having a pool party and she thought just blue icing would be fine. I laughed and asked her if she would like the cake to have a "Swimming Party" theme. I don't think she knew who she was talking to, lol. Anyway, I found this idea online and it was so much fun! I used a sea sponge to texture the concrete around the pool, each of the tiles around the edge of the pool are made of icing using a flat tip. I made little swimming suits on the Teddy Grahams out of icing, and used Gummy Life-Savers for the floaties. The towels, beach ball and rafts are fondant. The only thing that wasn't edible on this cake was the umbrella. For some reason, that little trick where you can click on the picture and it enlarges for you isn't working anymore...don't know why not. It's a shame really, because the details are really cool on this cake. I'm also going to load these on my Flicker in the sidebar, so if you really want to see it, you might try going to the Flicker album and see if you can make it bigger over there. Sorry about that.


So that's it for now. It's time to fix breakfast and then hit the books with the kids. Thanks for stopping by! And don't forget to check out the giveaways in my sidebar!

1 comment:

Mocha with Linda said...

Those are darling! I can't believe how much detail is on that pool cake.

So are you thinking you need to renege on the deal on August 19?