Friday, November 9, 2007

She Really Should Have Warned Me...

My mother, that is. She knows me. Well. She knows that I am not allowed to start a Karen Kingsbury book when I have deadlines to meet, as when I start reading a Karen Kingsbury book, I tend to set everything else aside until said book is finished. She knows that I skipped a class or two in college one morning to finish a Bodie Thoene book. (At least, I think she knows about that...if she didn't, she does now!) She and I share quite a few books, and she has handed me several while at the same time warning me to finish anything that I needed to finish before I started to read it.

So you can see why I feel completely defensive about the fact that I am behind in several tasks this week because I absolutely, positively, HAD to finish the Nicholas Sparks book that she gave to me last weekend. Now, I've never read a Nicholas Sparks book before. I've seen the movie versions of "A Walk to Remember" and "The Notebook", but that's it. So I had no previous experience to fall back on this time. I didn't know that I needed to finish up an entire week's worth of projects and chores before I opened the book. And now, not only am I completely behind, but I keep wanting to head to the library and get more Nicholas Sparks books!!! Wednesday was our normal library day, but I managed to stay away. Because now, you see, I KNOW that I really must get my work done before I pick up another one of his books to read!

Which is what I intend to do, right now. So, I'll end this rambling for now and go get to work, so that perhaps this weekend I will be able to head to the library for another Nicholas fix! And just in case you are wondering which of his books I had trouble putting down...it was "Dear John". It was just so compelling, and I just HAD to find out how the story ended...I just HAD to! Anybody else out there get this way with a good book or a certain author? Chime in with a comment and let me know!

4 comments:

Julie said...

I am the exact same way. My family knows if I start a good book they won't see me for a while.

Hope you get caught up soon.

Julie

Tracey said...

Hey Melody!

I'm finally taking some time to catch up! Sorry it's been so long!

I LOVE Nicholas Sparks! One of my most favorite authors! I cried practically through the whole book "The Notebook" and then the sequel, "The Wedding". I have "Dear John" but haven't started it yet. He is a fantastic writer!

Hope all is well with you, my friend!

Much love!
Tracey

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

I love his books too...I'll have to get Dear John but like you, I know I'll get nothing else done.

As if it's getting done now.. :)

Lisa

Kara Joy said...

Rationally, I know that the book will be there when I get back to it, that nothing will change while I'm gone. Do I consider this when I'm in the middle of a good book and a thousand other things are needing to be done? Needless to say, I haven't read anything in a while. For me it's Dean Koontz...and Nicholas Sparks, and a myriad of other authors. Good thing I don't work in a library or a book store!