Sunday, July 22, 2007

Weekend Wind-Up...the Early Edition

Okay, so it's not really that early, but my weekend's work isn't finished yet, so the Wind-Up is a little early! LOL! However, I know that you are all on pins and needles to see this weekend's cakes, so I thought I'd take a second to go ahead and post those pictures for you!

Okay, the first cake was for my niece who is expecting a baby next month. In order to completely appreciate this cake, you must first see the baby blanket that goes with her baby bedding...



And now...the cake!



And a close up of the detail...look familiar??? Hee-hee!



Now, the reason the cake looks a little "melty" is because my niece's favorite cake is my "Margarita Cake" and that particular cake doesn't go well with buttercream icing. Instead, it has a whipped cream cheese icing that although tasty, can't be smoothed and decorated like buttercream. Therefore, the decorations were made out of fondant and placed on top of the whipped icing. Just in case you were wondering...

And now, the cake that kept me up at night wondering "How in the world am I going to make this cake????" The cake that even after it was finished caused me to have not 1, but 2 nightmares about it completely falling apart when I tried to deliver it!

Now, I must first give blame credit where credit is due. Someone, who had attended a party that served one of my cakes, called me and asked me to make a "Nintendo DS" cake for her son's 9th birthday. She had found this picture online. Okay, it's on now! I can't turn down a challenge like that!!! So, I research a little and discover that the cake in the picture took 15 hours spread out over a week to make, it was made with a really heavy fruit cake which made it able to support the "lid" of the DS, and it was made with a lot of Marzipan. Okay...well, I only have one day available in my schedule to work on this cake, the cake is going to be my "chocolate covered strawberry cake" which is NOT a thick, heavy cake, and I will use fondant, not marzipan, because #1 - I've never used marzipan and don't want to experiment now, and #2 - I've heard it doesn't taste very good! So, I had to figure out a way to make this cake look like the other cake, but I'm on my own on the "how-to" part of the deal! So I got some ideas in my head and I just jumped in and 5 hours later....







I was pretty happy with it. Now, the "lid" part was not edible because there was no time to make a lid and let it set up and harden, but everything else was completely edible including the stylus... and I must say that for the first time since I started the cake business, I agreed with my husband that I don't charge enough! LOL!! Fortunately, I enjoy the process, so I just think of it as a hobby rather than a business, and then it's okay. I mean really, if I were scrapbooking, I'd be making nothing at all, right?

Well that was really about it for this weekend. I made two cakes, I attended a baby shower, went to church, had a nap (yes, I had an actual "Sunday afternoon nap"!) and now I have to start some laundry, do the supper dishes, and bake and decorate a dozen cookies to deliver tomorrow. Not too bad, but I best get to it!

Next time I'll post that chicken recipe I promised.

Thanks again for stopping by.

9 comments:

Brandie said...

Absolutely gorgeous cakes! =)

Monkey Kisses said...

absolutely georgous cakes... i tried making my monkey face... i mean practiced... i think i may be able to do it.. so if you have any cool tips or tricks let me know!

Kelli said...

Frankly, you amaze me. Im lucky to get the cake cool enough to not frost it into crumby oblivion.

Woman- you have TALENT!!! We've been watching Ace of Cakes on the Food Network.

I bow to all of you.

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

wow what great cakes:) You are very talented!

Tracey said...

I never cease to be amazed at your talent and creativity!

Lads of London said...

I'm impressed Melody! You make the most unique cakes I've ever seen! So fun to watch for your next pictures! Love it! I still don't know how you do it all! And the patience you must have....I'd never make it! Have a great week!

Lisa M said...

I cannot believe the cakes you make. They are so unreal. You've got an amazing gift. Thanks for sharing your pictures. I love coming out here and seeing what you've done lately.

WendyDarling said...

All I can say is WOW!!! I am speechless. You are totally awesome!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great job on both cakes. The "melty" effect you mentioned w/ your niece's cake only made the "blanket" look more authentic. In fact, at first glance, I thought the closeup pic of the lion corner of the cake was just another photo of the actual blanket!

Great job on the Nintendo DS, too! I've only played w/ fondant once, and since it was Wilton fondant, basically only kids will eat it & grown ups pick it off & throw it away. It costs too much to throw away. I have a friend who makes cakes from home who orders her fondant in bulk from some bakery near Indianapolis, but I don't think I'll ever make enough to buy 50 lb at a time. Do you make your own fondant?