Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Mi Vida Loca and a Chicken Recipe!

Yes, that's right. Life is crazy around here lately...not that it isn't always crazy, but for some reason I can't even seem to find a minute to blog lately! And we all KNOW that that is just NOT going to fly. Blogging is my outlet. Blogging is my link to the outside world. BLOGGING KEEPS ME SANE!!!! So, we're going to have to do something about the schedule to make sure that "Mama gets her blog time"!!

So, although I don't have time to actually, you know, write an interesting and witty post, I am going to steal a minute to post the promised chicken recipe and the cookie pictures from yesterday.

Chicken Stewed in Pineapple

1 1/2 cups juice-packed unsweetened pineapple chunks
1 cup red onions, chopped (I only used 1/4-1/2 cup as I'm feeding little kids too.)
1/2 cup tomatoes chopped, peeled (I didn't peel mine...who has time?!?)
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 cloves garlic minced
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
12 ounces chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into 2-inch pieces

In a 5-quart Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat, bring pineapple with juice, onions, tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, garlic, bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, and pepper to a boil. Boil uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Stir in chicken and return mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Discard bay leaves.

Yield 6 servings

Nutritional Values

Fat: 1 g.
Carbs: 19 g.
Protein: 14 g.
Calories: 136 kcal.

Now, just for your information, my chicken breasts were frozen, and my day was busy (as usual), so I just stuck everything in the crockpot around noon and cooked it on high for 1 hour then turned it to low and cooked it until we were ready to eat (about 6:00pm). I removed the chicken and pineapple from the crockpot and then poured the liquid into a pot on the stove. I put 2 tablespoons of cornstarch into 1/2 cup of cold water and mixed it together. Then I added that to the pot and cooked it on medium-high heat until I had a good thick sauce. I made brown rice for the kids and whole wheat couscous for myself. I made a bed of rice, added some chicken and pineapple, then poured some of the sauce over it...YUM! We also had green beans and salad...just in case you were interested!

Now for the picture of the cookies...

(There's actually a good story to go with this picture, but I'm out of time, so it will have to wait for another day!)



And I'm afraid that's all for now. Did you read this as fast as I typed it??? It seems like when I read it through for editing purposes, I was reading at light speed! Anyway, thanks for stopping by...sorry to rush you out the door, but I gotta git!

2 comments:

cookieintern said...

Okay, the birthday cookies are FAB, but I hope your schedule eases sometime soon so that you can make cookies for MOI. xo, C

Anonymous said...

Those cookies are adorable! They look really time-intensive. Great job.