Thursday, July 19, 2007

Trying Desperately to Catch Up...

I've been trying to think of all the things I've promised you all in the past month or so that I haven't been able to follow-through on....oh.my.word. it has become quite the list! So, this morning, I'm stealing a few minutes to at least deliver on a couple of them...

First of all, the results of my most recent kidney function test and doctor visit.

My kidney function is holding steady. :) However, my citrate levels (which are controlled by medication) are still too low, so I have to add another one of those horse pills to my morning regimen...sigh. (That makes 5 I take on a daily basis.) I believe I can hear a slight rattling noise when I walk! Also, my blood pressure was high which is not only a sign of kidney function problems, but is quite unusual for me. My blood pressure has been low my entire life, and the only other time it was high was when I had a very large stone preventing proper function of my kidney. And the fact that my blood pressure went up after I started jogging and exercising again is also odd. One would think that it would be the opposite...so, we'll just keep and eye and a prayer on that for awhile.

Secondly, I believe I promised a recipe or two! This promise is much more fun to follow-through on!

Let's start with breakfast shall we?

French Toast with Cardamom-Apple Syrup

Ingredients

8 thin slices of apple
1 cup apple juice
2 tsp. cornstarch
1/8 tsp. cardamom
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 T. cold water
2 eggs beaten
1/2 tsp. vanilla
4 slices whole wheat bread*

Directions

In a small saucepan, simmer the apple slices and apple juice until the slices are tender but retain their shape, about 8 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Using a slotted spoon, remove the apples and set aside. Reserve the juice.

In a cup, combine the cornstarch, cardamom, cinnamon, and water; stir into the reserved apple juice. Heat mixture to boiling, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened and clear. Set aside. In a shallow bowl, combine the egg and vanilla. Dip the bread slices in the egg mixture, turning to coat both sides.

In a nonstick skillet, lightly brown the bread on both sides. Remove to serving plates. Arrange the apple slices on the toast. Spoon the apple syrup on top.

Yield 8 servings**

Nutritional Values

Fat: 2 g
Carbs: 11 g
Protein: 3 g
Calories: 73 kcal

*Nutritional values are based on whole wheat bread that is 80 cal. a slice. You have to check your bread to see how many calories are in a slice.

**The servings are based on "The Biggest Loser" diet plan and it doesn't mean you only get to eat a half a piece of bread. It goes by calories, so depending on what you eat with it, you are allowed 2-4 "servings". For example, if you are eating eggs and bacon or some such with your french toast, you would eat less, if you are just having a half of a grapefruit with it, you can eat more. So, just make as much or as little as you want for your family. The above is the amount that I made for myself and the kids (2 slices each for myself and the older boys, and one slice each for the two younger ones, with fruit and bacon for the kids, and fruit only for me.)...one kid did ask for seconds, so I guess I should have made more! LOL!

Okay, that's it for now. School and chores are waiting, not to mention the dreaded trip to the grocery store! Next time...my most favorite breakfast drink, EVER!!!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Hey darlin'- sorry to hear things aren't all where you want. I missed my appt today .. so I'll take no news as good news. LOL.

Email me- call me!