Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday


I know, I know, Works For Me Wednesday is on hiatus, but seriously, how often have I been here lately??? I'm sure you'll forgive me for posting one anyway, am I right?

Okay, so when I decided to start back up with my running schedule, I logged into my account over at Runner's World and while I was there, I started playing around with some of the features in the Training Log section and I discovered that not only could I have posted my walks as "Walks" instead of "Really Slow Runs" by using the "Other Activity" tab (DUH!!!), but I can also post my route right there on the website and it will tell me how far I ran!!! It's the coolest thing!

I clicked on the "Routes" tab, and then hit "New Route". This took me to a map. I entered my city and state and then zoomed in on my neighborhood. Then I clicked my starting spot, and all the way through my route, and it marked each mile and gave me my total distance when I was finished! It was the most awesomest thing EVER! I was also able to go in and plot all the routes I've run in my past workouts and plug them in to get more accurate records of my runs.

It's a really nifty little tool if you like to run through your neighborhood rather than on a track, but want to know exactly how far you've run. It's also really handy if you are training for a particular race. You just plot a course that is the correct distance of your upcoming race and voila! you have your training route! You can also use it in your training if you want to increase your runs by a certain distance.
So, THAT's my fabulous Works For Me Wednesday tip for today!! Let me know if you try it yourself and how you liked it!

1 comment:

Cheri said...

I absolutely love this. Now I know how far I've been walking that dog of mine, and we can use it to see how far the boy bike's too! thanks!