Thursday, April 3, 2008

I Just Had to Put in My Two-Cents...

I know, I know, it's two days late, but I just got to watch this week's American Idol, and I just had to make a comment...or two.

First of all, I love me some Dolly Parton! And quite frankly, I had less trouble with the guys singing her songs than the girls, because I rarely, rarely like it when someone else sings a Dolly song. Her voice is just so distinct, that when another singer sings the song, it just never sounds right....even Whitney.

Now, the main reason I decided that I had post something about this week's show was Jason Castro. Now normally, I agree with Simon. Most of the time, he and I have the same opinions about performances.....most of the time. Last night was not one of those times. I absolutely loved Jason's version of "Travelin' Thru". In fact, I loved it so much that I downloaded the song from iTunes as soon as I heard him sing it. So, I'm sorry Simon, but you were wrong on this one.

The other thing I wanted to mention was all the Jesus that was there last night? Did you all notice how many of the songs preached Jesus? And then Dolly herself sang "Jesus and Gravity" on the results show! Not to mention The Clark Brothers singing "This Little Light of Mine". Jesus was all over that place this week! I just had to say "Thanks" to American Idol for not being afraid to let people sing about Jesus if they want to. I think it's awesome, and I absolutely loved, loved, loved the show this week.

And I also have to say, that just based on last night's performances, I agree that Ramiele was the one to go. I love her, and I think she's an amazing singer, but just based on this week's performances, I felt hers was the weakest. In fact, as much as I love Brooke, I completely agreed with the bottom three as well....again based solely on this week's performances.

Oh, and just in case you're curious, the only songs I've downloaded this season so far have been Jason Castro's performances of "Hallelujah" and "Travelin' Thru" and David Archuletta's performance of "Smoky Mountain Memories". I would have downloaded his version of "Imagine" because it was so amazing, but I just can't stand that song. The music is beautiful, but the words get to me...especially the opening lyric. I just couldn't bring myself to download a song that I dislike no matter how well it was sung.

2 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

Yeah, I noticed all the Jesus on Idol too! I don't know what it is but every time His name goes out, especially in places where it often doesn't, I just want to jump up like a cheerleader and say, "Go Jesus. Go Jesus!" I LOVE hearing his name proclaimed like that! I agree with who got kicked off as well. Someone has to go each time!

Julie said...

I loved Jason's version too. If I was a teen I would be totally hot for that guy. OK, don't tell anyone I said that. lol.

Brooke is my favorite and I was upset to see her in the bottom three. I loved all the Jesus this week to. Amen.

I'm taking my daughter to the Idol Gives Back telecast being filmed this Sunday night. I can't wait to see them in person!!!